Monday, September 15, 2014

The Ingredients of a Good Teacher


Throughout my education career, from kindergarten to today, I’ve had classes that I’ve loved and classes that I’ve dreaded. In retrospect I’ve determined that the deciding factor of which reaction I had to a class was the teacher. As students we tend think of teachers as being intelligent people of the mind. After several years in college, however, I’ve learned that simply being knowledgeable, or even an expert, in a topic does not equate to being a teacher. I’m sure that we’ve all had that one professor who, while very smart, seemed incapable of teaching even a simple lesson effectively, which no doubt led to an uncomfortable semester. While being intelligent is important for a teacher (especially as people who value knowledge and the opportunities it offers) I argue that intelligence is not one of the most important characteristic of a teacher.

The first characteristic that comes to mind when I think of a good teacher is patience. As a student I have always been horrible at math. I was a student that would get so frustrated over a math concept that I couldn’t understand that I would cry. Math was never going to be fun for me, but what made it bearable was when I’d have a teacher that was patient with me. I always took twice as long to understand a new concept and I almost always forgot how it worked by the time I got home. It’s not that I wasn’t trying, math simply doesn’t “click” with me. Throughout middle school and high school what made the difference between a good school year and a slow, dull crawl till summer was a patient math teacher. Being patient enough to explain over and over a concept without getting frustrated is necessary as a teacher since no two students learn at the same speed. Frustration makes it hard to think clearly and teach effectively; we owe it to our students to be patient.

The second characteristic that I believe defines a good teacher is humility. I’ve always been more attentive and active in class when the teacher is willing to talk to me as a person instead of as a student. I’m sure most of us have had that teacher that talks down to their students. I always seem to “check-out” of these teacher’s classes. Conversely, whenever a teacher took the time to get to know me and treat me like a person I rose to the challenges of their class. To this day I still remember my high school Spanish teacher who inspired me to become a teacher. I’ve never had a passion for Spanish, but she took the time to get to know me and encouraged me to work hard. She made learning fun because she didn’t treat her students as though they were on a lower level than she was on. It’s important that, as teachers, we remember that our students are individuals, and that our age or position do not make us better than they are.

As I’ve already explained, I do not believe that intelligence is an extremely important characteristic for a teacher to have. I do, however believe that a good teacher has a love of learning. In order to instill in our students an understanding of what knowledge can do for their lives we must love learning ourselves! Being simply intelligent is to have gained knowledge, but to have a love of learning is to actively seek self-improvement. This is what we want for our students, for them to actively better themselves through learning. As teachers, we must model this behavior with our own love of learning.

The fourth and final characteristic of a good teacher is also the most important: Passion. A teacher who is full of passion can invigorate even the laziest of students. I’ve witnessed a teacher fill a classroom with a contagious energy that changes their students’ demeanor, and it all stemmed from their passion for teaching. We’ve all had those teachers that are so bored and dry that they have no place in the classroom. They’ve lost their passion and in doing so have lost the ability to effectively inspire their students. While on paper our jobs as teachers will be to teach material, we must also remember that we are role models for our students. We want to create in them a respect and thirst for knowledge, and we cannot do this without a passion for what we do.

There are many qualities that pull together to make the character of a good teacher. While everyone has their own opinion on the matter, I believe that Patience, Humility, a Love of Learning, and Passion are the ingredients for an effective and inspiring teacher. To exemplify these qualities in the classroom is to transform students into lifelong learners. What more could a teacher hope to accomplish?

5 comments:

  1. This comment is in response to your MicroTeaching I, Brandon.

    First of all, I thought that your lesson topic was a really good idea: constructing a five paragraph essay. I'm sure you were struggling to find something for direction instruction in English, and I thought that how to construct an essay was a clever topic. You did a fantastic job avoiding what I would imagine would be the biggest pitfall of this lesson, spending way too much time on writing an actually full bodied essay instead of working on how to build its skeleton.

    The handouts you gave us were especially helpful. The visualization of the triangles and the rectangles really gave the essay a shape that was logical to its literary construction.

    You have a very nice speaking voice and candor; you paced yourself well at the front of the class and were genuine when coming around to help everyone during their practice. I like how you had come up with proposed topics ahead of time while also giving us the option of creating our own- I'm sure in a class of twenty five Middle Schoolers you would have gotten a few great original ideas. I think that balancing structure and guidance with the freedom to make your own way is very effective and shows that you can handle student creativity.

    I also thought it was really great that you had us all share our responses to the prompt. It was interesting to see who agreed and who disagreed.

    If there is one thing that I thought you could improve on, it may have been interesting to include a "what not to do" segment. This could either be a list of common mistakes or even better a sample of poor writing for the class to work with. That being said, you didn't have time to do anything like that. Maybe, even you had that penciled in for a back up if you had extra time.

    Overall I thought that you did a great job, Brandon. I imagine that if you actually were teaching a class full time you'd have graphic organizers like the ones you gave us somewhere in your classroom for students to pick up when they need- those kind of resources really come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Brandon, I thought you did a really nice job with your micro teaching. I was working the camera for this one, so I didn't directly participate in the lesson, but I thought your ideas worked really well. The large printouts that you gave everyone really made it clear that this is where the main idea goes for your essay, and here are all the supports for your argument underneath it and so on. I also liked how you made a point of making your lesson very relevant. When you learn something, its nice to hear when you're going to be using it. You had a good classroom presence as well, and I can easily see you will be one of the teachers that goes the extra length for his students.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Brandon, here's what I have to say about your microteaching one:

    I thought the idea itself for the lesson was great. Writing skills are essential no matter what you do, and not enough people's writing is up to par. So teaching students how to write and write well is really important.

    I thought that the handouts were definitely helpful in helping students with putting a visual to the desired structure of an essay. Your explanation of how a five paragraph essay should be structured was great.

    You provided help effectively and the variety of options you provided so far as topics go ensured that students would pick the topic they liked most, which would lead to their best work.

    I think that maybe a brief section on things to avoid when writing essays would have been a nice addition to the lesson. Other than that, though, I think you did a great job with this lesson.

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I heard that your topic was how to construct a five paragraph essay I thought that it was going to be information that I already knew. Granted, I did know some of it, but the way it was presented was awesome. Being able to visualize the essay format with the triangles for introduction and conclusion made the light bulb go off in my head. This way of teaching 5 paragraph essays is very strong and you should use this method (or a very similar one) when you teach your future students. I also liked how you gave us choices for topics on the essay because it got me more engaged. Also, having a small debate helped show how a 5 paragraph essay would be used. In sum, your lesson was very strong and your delivery methods were spot on.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete